Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mar 04, 2010

Ok so it was awful!


I first want to say thank you for all of the letters and prayers. It was so encouraging to see that you all are with me in spirit. It really touched me and made me not feel so alone in all of this.

We went over to the hospital and went into the surgery room. We had a hard time getting started because the three doctors that were helping me were all new as of this week and we couldn't find everything. We finally got things ready to go and here I am with three doctors and they don't normally start IVs in the states. One of them tried and after feeling a little like a pin cushion they went and got one of the local nursing aides to help out and he took care of me with no problem. Yeah! So now they are ready to get started. I laid down on my stomach and propped my head on a couple gowns and tried to relax. The first thing they put in the IV was dyasapam (not sure of the spelling) which chilled me out like Valium but it burned like fire going into my veins. Then came the crazy stuff, Ketamine but this time it didn't make me as crazy as the first time and I just went right to sleep. Eventually I end up waking up to several voices and one being James Appel. As I try to focus and get my bearings straight I was instructed by all four doctors that I am not suppose to let my foot touch the ground for at least a week. Also I am to lay down and get up for nothing but potty breaks. I wasn't prepared to hear all that yet. They put me in a wheelchair and wheeled me over to the house. I was still very confused and having a hard time focusing on much of anything being said on the way. We got to the front door and Jamie and Michelle helped me up the steps and then I hobbled through the house to the couch where they let me go. At this point all I could think or feel was pain and the pain was getting stronger and stronger. I felt like I had to hold my breath and work through it. I began to moan and then come the tears. Oh! No! I need pain medication right now. Each of my kids came and did whatever they could to help me and get me what I needed. Finally Dr. Liz came over with some glorious pain medication and after about 45 minutes the pain started to let up. Thank you, Jesus!

The part that bothers me the most is that this is going to be a long road of healing. I understand that because the infection is so deep that they have to keep it an open wound for a while so that means I will be getting a dressing change every day. But the problem with that is that the way they keep it open is they stuff the wound with sterile packing and remove it and repack it every day. I am going to need prayer for strength to get through those dressing changes. I wonder why it is that God wants me to understand what the local people are going through at the hospital when the hospital is doing this sort of thing on so many people every day. I admit it, I am not as tough as the people here. I have no idea how I am going to do it. The first time they packed it and Jamie and I took the packing out I cried through the whole thing trying to get that out. I don't know, this will be interesting how my life is going to be this next week. I will keep you informed on my drama though cause it sounds like I won't have much of anything else to do.

Till tomorrow, I am getting tired real fast now. Thank you for everything.

* Love, Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment