Wednesday, February 2, 2011

OUR TRIP BACK

OUR TRIP BACK

    We started our journey on a positive note.  We were standing in line at the airport, waiting for our turn for checking in our luggage.  Mrs. Parker and myself were talking about our journey ahead of us.  A man behind us overheard some things and ask me where we were going.  I told him but not giving much information.  He continued to ask questions.  Immediately he said that he was going to be praying for us.  Then he proceeded to get his wallet out and said that he wanted to make a contribution.  I was jaw dropped to the floor.  I couldn't believe that this stranger felt inclined to give us money.  Then as I stepped up to the counter I gave my first set of luggage.  The first person was checking in three bags which was going to be an extra $200.  He again immediately stepped up to the counter with us and gave his credit card and said that he would pay for it.  I couldn't believe that God had touched a stranger to help us out.  As the man walked away I got tears in my eyes just thinking about how good God is.  I felt at complete peace the rest of our trip just knowing that God is taking care of us.

    Well we are back in the crazy land of Chad.  Only those who have ever been here can understand the culture shock that you feel when you step foot off the plane.  Right away I felt the culture difference of the people in Ethiopia.  We are taking a bathroom break before entering the next secure area for our next flight.  We take turns watching the luggage.  Brichelle and I get to go first.  As soon as I walked into the bathroom I could smell that it was not going to be pretty and it wasn't.  But the more entertaining part was after getting out of the filthy stall.  An Arabic woman began to wash her hands in the sink next to mine.  I didn't think much until she began to take part of her clothes off.  Then she proceeds to put her foot in the sink and wash her feet and then her legs.  Then she washes her arms and her armpits.  I was not too surprised but it sure was entertaining watching another American come into the bathroom and try and process what in the world was going on.  I just laughed inside thinking that was me a year and a half ago. 

    As we proceed to the gate as we are going to be boarding, many people are pushing their way ahead.  This pushing dose not stop until you get to your seat.  Jamie had one guy really push him and I thought for a minute that Jamie was going to loose it with the guy.  Instead he just said in English, "the plane is not going to leave without you, you are already on it".  Then after we sit in our assigned seats we are moved again.  I look over at an Arabic man in the seat next to us and he has a gray ski mask on.  My first thought was how uncomfortable it made me just looking at him as though he was dangerous.  But then Jamie and I talk about it and figure that this is just something he is probably just showing off that he has.

    We finally get to Ndjamena and all goes well there.  We got all of our bags without a problem and James Appel was even there waiting for us. It was a weird feeling being back again.  It was really hot outside.  Everything was so dusty and dirty.  Several times I just silently laughed at the situation that we are in again for another year and a half.  There is just something about this place that is addicting.  I look down the dusty road with all the different people walking to and fro and all the run down stores which all have most of the same things from one store to the next.  As we go by people they stare.  Some people yell "Nasara" and some run to the window trying to sell you something.  I just continue to think of all the people I will being seeing in Bere' that I love so much.  That is why I love it here.  And my tomorrow was such a perfect day!  Hugs were given out left and right.  Whether they were ready for it or not.  Hugs are not something they are use to but something they accepted from me.  Seeing all our friends was great!  But I must say that the inch layer of dirt in my house was a little shocking and something I am still working on.  All of the missionary volunteer women came to my house and did alot of cleaning too, which I was very touched by.  But it is just a tough place to keep It is good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment