Monday, February 7, 2011

An Amazing Day!

 

Monday, February 7, 2011


An Amazing Day!

 
    Woke up at 6:00 am.  Went straight to the kitchen and put on a kettle of water to heat up.  Walked back to all the rooms with all the kids and woke them up for school.  On my way back to the living room I hear an early knock at the door.  I answer it and it is Valery.  This is a 24 year old boy that I call one of my sons.  He is married with a 2 year old little girl, Riesa with another child on the way.  He has come to my door to let me know that his wife is at the hospital getting ready to have their second child.  I was so excited but also surprised because I didn't think that she was due for another month.  I knew that I wanted to be in the delivery room and hopefully deliver the baby if all goes well.  Without another thought to the hot water on the stove or anything else, I run to my room and put on a set of scrubs.  I grab a water bottle for her and some things for the baby and I run out the door.  I didn't want to miss anything.  Valery meets me half way and walks with me to the maternity ward.  As soon as I get there I am trying to find out some information on how far along she is so I can know how close we are.  I soon find out that she is at 6cm.  I then call Naomi and let her know that Valery's wife, Chouka is having her baby.  I knew that Naomi would want to know because Valery and Naomi are first cousins and just found eachother about a year ago.  Their father's are brothers and neither one knew that they had family here.  So I had Cory run out to her hut and pick her up with the motorcycle and bring her to the hospital.  I am so happy to see her.  Anyone who knows me knows how much I like to talk.  In the situation I was in I was unable to really talk to anyone and it was driving me crazy since I was so excited about this baby being born.  So as soon as Naomi gets there I get to release all the questions and comments I had been storing inside for the last hour.  We end up having to walk Chouka around a bit for now she is at a stand still.  It takes a few very long hours of anticipation.  Then finally, around 12:00 noon, Naomi and I have her on the table and she is ready to push.  I am starting to freek out.  I put on my gloves and I am yelling for Denae, the new OB Dr. to come and talk me through this.  As soon as she gets there it is time for me to grab the baby's head.  Denae calmly tells me what to do and lets me do it all.  I am absolutely freeking out inside.  I can not believe I am doing this and as the rest of the baby comes I am just in awe.  It's a girl!  I set the baby on the mothers stomach and work with Denae with the clamps and cut the cord.  I also am taught about what needs to come out next and how to work with all that.  After that I take the baby and begin to clean her up.  She is healthy and perfect!  Praise the Lord!  Jamie comes and checks in and hears that it was a girl and all is well.  I then have him call Valery and let him know.  I can tell by the conversation at this end that Valery thinks Jamie is joking that he has another girl.  I know that he wanted a boy.  He shortly there after comes to see his family.  He has the proud father's look and the thoughts of wanting a boy are gone. 

Valery tells me that he wants me to name her.  I knew this was coming because he told me this before but I thought that I had another month to think about it.  I give him three names.  Neveah (Heaven backwards), Brianna which is the name I was going to give Brichelle and then the last was Diane which is my middle name which means celestial hunter.  I told him he should pick the name.

Just the other night we were at Valery's house celebrating the birth of his baby girl and someone asked me what her name was?  I turned and looked at Valery and asked him what he named her and he said Diane.  I was really surprised.  I had heard that it was going to be Neveah.  Later when Valery and I had a moment to talk I asked him what made him pick that name?  His response was beautiful and this is what he said.

"Mom, one day you may have to go back to America.  If that happens I will be sad but it will make me happy to be able to call my daughter by your name everyday so then it is like a part of you is still here with me.  Your family has really changed my life and I thank God for that.  I realize now how important family is and I want to just thank you for being here for me and my family." 

At this point I just want to cry.  He is saying so many heartfelt things to me that makes being in this country worth being without a few things that America can offer. 

Everyday is an adventure here.  Adventure is something I anticipated on the way here.  But the love I found and experience with the people has been a complete surprise.  This place has really taught me about the love God has for His people.  Love is very powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment