Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sponsoring for school update!

GOD IS SO GOOD!

It is so fun to watch the Lord work! By all of us working together we have been able to help 155 children get a Christian education! "Praise God!" I don't even know where to start to say thank you for the children here. I was hoping to match what we did last year and you were able to just about double it! I want to share what has been happening here though through this process. We have been taking interviews on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays, these are the days Naomi works. Each time the number has been growing outside the gate. I was letting everyone inside our compound and then just talking to one family at a time. But word spread and the number on Wednesday was over 200 people waiting to talk to me. It has been an overwhelming sight to see. I tried to just stay focused and do what I can without getting stressed out.

On Wednesday people where starting to feel desperate and broke through the door to get to me. I immediately got up from an interview to see what was happening outside and all of them where coming toward the house. I yelled to Naomi to help me get them all out. They were not going to budge. Valery, another person that I have written about that has helped Jamie a lot through restoring the school. He is the vice principle at the school. He was coming to check on me and asked what was going on right at the time that they broke in. He really helped to yell at everyone to get out. I had Naomi tell everyone that I would not speak to another person if they did not leave. It was very intimidating. After time we got the place cleared out. I came into the house to get myself together and finish with the interview that I had in the breezeway of our house. Valery called me and said, "mum I think that it would be good for you to not see any more people for today, there is too many people." I had to agree! Since, I have had many come to me at a steady pace. They seem to find their way in. I had Naomi work today (Thursday). I want to share some of the stories that I have heard. I had one grandmother come to me today that had four grandchildren. Both of the parents died of Aids. She looked like she had some kind of arthritis in her hands but who knows what it was. She says she does her best with the children but it is very hard on her and her husband. They are very tired. She wants what is best for the children but they just cannot do it on their own. Another lady came in with four little ones. She is the wife of one of the men that died last year from a killing spree that went on between the Nangjere people and the Arabs. This was a fight about the harvest. There seems to be a fight every year. So she is alone and needs help. I have had children bring in children. There are no parents and the older children are taking care of the younger and trying to go to school too. Many mothers have come in saying that their husbands have died from Aids or have left them and they don't know where they are. One family has nine children and we helped with four. There is just too many for them so most of the younger ones just don't even get a chance to go to school. One of the boys I picked is fourteen and he is in 3rd grade. I wanted to give him a chance. Some girls are wanting to come back to school after being out for a couple years because they got married. Now the husband is gone for one reason or another and realize that they need to try to do something with their lives.

It is difficult to sit and listen to all the depressing stories. I would look over at the children while the parents are talking. I would notice how they would try to come presentable but would still have a shredded shirt but it would be clean and buttoned all the way up to the top. Or one had on a really nice shirt but a pair of shorts that look like they have been through three other children already and as this one boy turns to leave there is a 4 inch rip in the bottom exposing him. Most of these people are easy to decide to help. So many have a sad story. But there are times that I have to say no or only help with one or two in the family for whatever reason. But however I decide I do take it all very seriously and try to be fair. Naomi and I prayed together for wisdom and patience this morning. God is helping us, we have no doubt about that.

Well I will continue to keep you all informed. I just wanted to give you an update and let you know we are working very hard to fill the school. I pray that God will work miracles in these children and bring them to Christ so you all can hear their stories in heaven.

Thank you again!

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment