Wednesday, August 11, 2010

08/11/10

Sunday I was going to go to a soccer game that was being played out by the market. Some of the young guys I know were going to be playing and they asked me if I would go and watch them. Soccer is a very big sport here. I was delighted to have been invited and took cool fresh water with me to give them during half time. On my way to the game I noticed a couple of boys in front of me that were going to the game too. They were probably about 14 y/o and seemed to be as happy to have somewhere to go as I was. As I studied the boys walking in front of me I noticed one had on a pair of shoes that stood out like a sore thumb with the jogging pants that he had on. The shoes were a pair of sparkling white dress shoes that came to a point and were about 4 sizes too big. My first thought was how ridiculous they looked. But then I let God talk to me. What is the story behind the shoes. What if the shoes were all he had left of his father with so many children here without parents. What if they were the only shoes he owned. There could have been a number of stories that could have explained why the shoes were obviously so important to him. It made me think about how we are so quick to judge other people for their outward appearance. I have done that so many times here that I am so ashamed after I find out the real story.

No comments:

Post a Comment