Friday, May 14, 2010

Just a thought! 04/09/10

Well the temperature here is now well into the hundreds. It is very hot and I know it will only get hotter all the way through May, then our rainy season will begin and cool things down. Until then, we will be trying to find things to do to cool ourselves down. I have been taking the children to the river more often, maybe 2-3 times a week.

We have been wanting to get motorcycles to be able to have some sort of transportation that is affordable. I have been looking at the scooters cause I have to wear skirts all the time and it is so much easier to get on and off in a more lady like fashion. Jamie found me a scooter in Moundou and so he had it brought here for me. The people call it something in French that translates into English "my husband is capable". I don't like to drive it around just for that reason but it is better than walking.

So on a very hot and sunny day I was going to take the children to the river. We take the scooter sometimes to help transport children faster. Everyone starts walking and we make several trips and just pick them up on their way. Well I told Cory to go ahead and make one trip with some kids on the back of the scooter and I would start walking with some of the other children. The river is about 3 miles away. For some reason Cory was delayed and I found myself walking almost all the way. Now that normally would not be a problem but this was when I started to have problems with my foot and I had to limp around on my toes and keep my heel up which was where it was hurting.

As we past the two mile marker I found myself limping even more. I was getting tired. I started to think about my situation. Here in Africa here it is so hot you literal feel like you are in the middle of the desert. I am on the main road walking with three young boys. One boy as had one of his arms amputated. Another boy has 12 toes. And the other boy, well, let's just say he is not really popular. Then here I am limping away right along with them. We must have been quite a sight. It was so hot that they would stop at every well and see if the water was good. It never was. It was cloudy like clay was in it. They would test it for me first to let me know if it was ok to drink or not. Little did they know that I was not going to drink it either which way. Giardia is not one of the things on my list I am looking forward to checking off and so I am doing everything I can to avoid it.

I guess you can say I just had a moment. I took a look from afar at what we must have looked like. I think about how sinful the world is. I think about how hard the life is here. I think about how much the people in Chad have against them with all the conditions that they live in. There is so much disease. I find myself thinking on heaven a lot more than I have in my whole life. I am sure that God cannot wait to show them what He has made for them in heaven. What a day that will be.

Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment