Thursday, August 1, 2013

Time to get busy

I love working for God.  I love working for God here.  He has been talking to me again.  It is almost funny to me because He is almost doing it in a humorous way.  Ever since I have been back I have not been in full gear.  I have been just choosing what I want to do here and there.  I have had some spare time to myself which I have really appreciated but at the same time it gives me too much time to think about self and how much I miss my kids.  

Last week my baby milk formula program just exploded with new cases.  It was almost ridiculous.  This is something I have to get out and do.  I have to asses the situation and make sure that each case is necessary because each case is $300. per year that I will be taking on.  Each case was one that I just couldn't say no to.  And it seemed like everyday there was one or two or three more cases.  I started to wonder if God is trying to tell me something?  I believe He was.  I can't explain it exactly but it made me work with the people.  It woke me up to the fact that I believe God is telling me that it is time to go full force again.  So I decided, from experience,  it is best to listen.  

This week I got into the village.  I went to go visit an old lady that Naomi knew from passing her house.  She told me about her and told me that she thinks that she is really suffering.  I decided that this was where I wanted to start.  So one day this week I went to see the old lady.  Her house seems to be barely standing.  As I got closer to her house I couldn't believe that someone was living in this old mud hut that was falling apart and melting away with the rain.  Only part of her roof exists and that is the side that she sleeps under.  She invited me into her compound and as I proceeded I slipped on the green filled puddle that is right outside her hut.  Her bedroom is about 5 ft x 7 ft.  She kindly rolled out her mat on her bed that was about 10 inches off the ground.  I sat in the middle and Naomi was on one side while this lady was on the other.  As I looked forward the other side of her house was bright because there was no roof and she was using it as her kitchen.  As I sat there I began my interview.  At first things were going good and I was learning that she was married once but her husband left her after she had 5 kids.  Only one of her kids were alive and lives away from her and she doesn't even know for sure where he is.  

As I am listening to her story I begin to hear other noises in the house too and it distracted me.  I look over on the wall and a rat is running up.  Then I hear one behind me and a little later I am sure there was two playing together right beneath me.  I am starting to freak out.  Sorry but I am human and not use to this.  They were everywhere in this little space.  I know it is bad but all I could think about is my skirt touching the ground.  Will a rat run up my leg?  I look at Naomi and she knows me so well and tells me it is going to be ok.  During my freakout I am trying to look like normal as I continue asking questions.  Then I think, this lady has to sleep here what am I freaking out about.  I tell myself that I can do this for 15 minutes.  

The interview is over and I decided to help her however I thought I could.  I handed her a bag full of different foods.  Then I went outside and really looked at the house and the roof.  I think that I am going to just hire someone to come out repair it they way they do it locally with the grass on the roof.  Then I looked at her beaten up hands.  I thought about all the years that she has suffered and worked in the fields.  She is doing her best but is not being able to move like she use to.  I decided to start her on a business.  I can do that with just $20.  I talked to her about what she thought she could do and how to manage the money.  Then the three of us prayed together asking God to bless her and multiply her business.  As I began to walk away she pulled Naomi back by the arm.  I turned and looked at them.  She looked down at the $20, which is 10,000 CFA,  then she looked back at Naomi.  Naomi told me that she wanted to know what it was that I gave her.  She said that she knew it was money but how much?  Even though this woman was probably in her 60's she looked like a child in my eyes at that moment.  She said that in all her life she has never touched money that big before.  I just told her to give God all the glory.

I wonder how many times does God give us something good that we don't recognize? I believe that it can also be disguised as something that we think is tragic but the outcome is a blessing.  That is why we should praise Him during the bad things too.  God hears our prayers but our ways are not His.  Trust Him, talk to Him and try to recognize what He is doing for you.  This woman has nothing really but she thought that God heard her cries for help.  It is so fun working for God.  Thank you to all of you who are giving donations to our giving fund so I am able to give to those in need.  This whole mission is God's love all over the place.  Thank you! 


Tammy Parker


Jamie phone: +235 93 46 46 35 
Tammy phone: +235 95 25 86 58 

Jamie & Tammy Parker 
Hopital Adventiste de Bere 
52 Boite Postale 
Kelo, TChad 
Afique 

All donations can be sent to: 

Harrison SDA Church 
P.O. Box 969 
Harrison,  TN  37341 

Make Checks payable to: 
Harrison SDA Church 
Earmark:  "The Bere Project" 

1 comment: