Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cold Water 10/04/09

Dear Friends...

COLD WATER

Some of you know that when we moved we sold just about everything we owned. I told Jamie the only thing I really want when I go to Africa is a refrigerator. I just knew how hot things get and I figured if I could just have a cold glass of water then I could make it. After selling everything I didn't think asking for a small refrigerator was too much to ask for. Having a refrigerator here is a real privelage. Well I was very blessed because the first day we got to Africa Sarah took me shopping (if you will) and helped me pick out a refrigerator. I was so happy that I got to get one the first day in town.

As soon as we got to Bere we started chilling water. It was great! We bought these really large water bottles to keep the water cold. As we started making friends we would always offer cold water to everyone and share the wealth. We found these small plastic cups up in one of the closets so we keep them by the door for visitors and then use them over and over and over.

The word got out that the Parkers give out water. Boys come in to play basketball then will walk over to the Parker house for water. If I go out to work the children find me and will ask for water. Cory and Brichelle are asked several times throughout the day to give out water.

After a while Cory and Brichelle started to become annoyed on how much time they are spending giving out water. I told them that at least this is something we can do for the people and it is free. Sometimes it would be very inconvinient but we never turn the children away. I must admit that there have been times that I have thought "oh not now, I'm busy" but I couldn't deny anyone of the simple pleasure of cold water.

The other day Jamie was reading his bible and came across a verse that encouraged us on this mission of giving water. In Matthew 10:42 it says "And if anyone gives even a cup of COLD WATER to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."

Remember this verse when you come across a time that you feel too busy to show someone a gesture of kindness in a small and yet maybe what you may think insignificant way. Nothing goes unnoticed or unrewarded by the King of Kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment