Sunday, September 6, 2009

From the Parkers August 22,2009

Dear Friends,
August 22,2009
I felt very impressed to share with everyone my experience today for church. A group of us went to a village church about 5 miles away from the Bere’ hospital. As we drove up we were greeted by several children that gave us such a warm welcome, each one had to shake our hand. The day was warm and sunny with a few breezes. The clouds that hovered overhead helped keep things from being too warm. As we followed others to where we would have church we followed a path that had 6-7 foot tall stalks of corn and millet on either side. We came to an open area where there were three grass huts. The dirt area had been neatly swept and there were a few trees to give shade. A man was sitting under a tree that was going to be giving the sermon. As others began to talk with him I just looked around and really took in the atmosphere of Africa. I began to wonder where the actual place was that we would have church. I thought that maybe it would be here under this tree. We were soon brought to an area that had a covering with straw overhead held up by large pieces of wood. Underneath were a few very short benches that were very old. As I followed behind everyone I took my place where I was going to sit. Before I sat on the bench that was about 8” off the ground a sweet young boy took his hand and brushed it clean for me to sit. You could just see the happiness in the faces around that today they had visitors. The attendance consisted of eight American visitors, six other adults and about 30 children all under an area of about 12’x15’. Let me tell you I was greatful for the few cool breezes. The services began and we sang a few songs. Annie, one of the volunteers, gave a children story with felts. She told it in French then it was translated into Nigeria. Next they gave the children a chance to say the memory verse. They have been learning Psalms 23 and today it was the 4th verse. There were two boys that made the effort and received a sticker on their hand. You could just see the proud look on their faces. So far it was like having children Sabbath school and I enjoyed every minute. As I looked around I noticed how happy the children were to be there. I also noticed how dirty each one was with something wrong with all of their clothes. One boy had a shirt that was half ripped down to the middle of his back. A little girl was wearing a dress that was 2 sizes too small. And most of the kids wore only one piece of clothing either a shirt too small or a pair of shorts that were ripped in several places. This is such a primitive place. I cannot believe I am here. My heart goes out to the children. I want to make a difference in some way and I am currently praying that God reveals His plan for me. God brought us out here for a reason. I feel like I have not quite figured out what He has for me to do. As church continued the sermon was given in French and translated in Nigeria then English. I am so glad I got to hear the message in English. The simple idea that God controls everything was a comfort for me being here in this place. But during the sermon we had distractions of a hen and her baby chicks wondering around between the corn and millet in front right behind the speaker. It was a reminder to me of exactly where I am. But listening to the sermon sitting with all of the natives something within me moved. It was almost like what we have read in mission books but I was the missionary what a humbling feeling as my eyes swelled with tears. As I was listening I looked around at the grass huts. There is a real beauty to this place. But unfortunately, this place is not always kind to the people. It makes me sad that so many have no knowledge of hope, the eternal hope with Jesus. Right now the people doing this church are doing what they can to teach the children that there even is a God and that even the food they eat comes from God. The One that brings the rain and brings the sun and without it there is no food. For the people here food is everything. For some it is what consumes their whole day. Working in the fields, or selling in the market, or even just what it takes to cook the food is time consuming, gathering sparse wood for a fire or getting water. I guess what I want everyone to know is that there is a lot of work to do here. Jamie and I are hoping that we can help be a part of this church and help in any way. Annie and Jeremy Smith, the volunteers that have been helping at the village church every week, are going to be leaving in October. We would like to be able to fill their shoes but because we don’t know French that will be a big disability. Please continue to pray for us. We need wisdom to learn the language, and the courage just to be able to do whatever God asks of us.
We also want you to know that we are getting e-mail once or twice a week. We need you to write us for many reasons but one being that we cannot get our e-mail addresses out of the AOL account we had put them in when we left the states. If you write us we will then have your address and can write you back. We are really missing everyone a lot.
My next entry will be about a lot of Jamie’s experiences in Africa. Hope to hear from you all soon!

Love, The Parkers

Parkers4Bere@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Hey Parkers,
    We just today 9/8/09 got your blog link. What is your email address so we can send you email.
    Thanks for the phone call. We just got a calling card yesterday. I will call Holly and get your phone number. How many hours different is Bere from Tennessee?
    Love your stories. God is definately working. Your blog is my devotional! So inspiring and such a reminder of God's power and your HUGE faith.
    Miss you and Love you.
    Angi

    ReplyDelete
  2. God certainly isn't wasting time showing you what you need to see and experience. God bless guys.

    ReplyDelete